In my Google says Keyword Meta Tag is not being used article I included a video of Matt Cutts. Not only did he verify this, but he also stated Google uses the Description Meta Tag as the Search Snippet.
When Matt says something about the Description Meta Tag being used as the Snippet, in Google’s Search Results, I am all ears.
If you want to know more about snippets, I suggest the Improve snippets with a meta description makeover article on the Google Webmaster Central blog.
The snippet provides vital information to those using Google Search to find your website. If you want to make a good snippet, you need to create the Description Meta Tag in this format:
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="informative description here">
How to get the biggest bang for the snippet-buck, with the Description Meta Tag!
- Use 135 to 155 total characters or less. This includes commas and spaces.
- Try to avoid the use of symbols in the values.
- Avoid using anything other than your own website content.
- Avoid bashing other websites, products or services.
- Avoid trying making comparisons.
- Avoid the use of links or web addresses.
- Avoid bad grammar and misspelled words.
- Avoid complicated, run on sentences.
The eight guidelines (above), will give you the biggest bang for the Snippet buck, when using the meta name=”Description” meta tag.
If you need help with the Description Meta Tag, Search Snippet or your website in general, contact me over on https://bamajr.com/; my business’ website.