Similar to the MySQL Database Server Article, web sites and applications alike, utilize PHP code to deliver “on demand” information, to millions of people, in fractions of seconds.
“PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML.” – PHP.net
Here again, Installing PHP5 has become “Old Hat” for people implementing content management systems (CMS), customer relationship management (CRM), publishing platforms and web template systems using PHP.
Are you familiar with phpBB, SugarCRM, WordPress (and/or BuddyPress) or other similar web platforms? How about Smarty the PHP Template Engine? They all utilize PHP5.
- At the Debian GNU/Linux w/ KDE Welcome Screen, chose the “Menu” option in the lower left part of the screen.
- In the Menu chose the “Console Login” option. (You Can also simply click ALT+N from the Debian GNU/Linux w/ KDE Welcome Screen, in place of the first two steps in this section. This is a shortcut to the Console or “CONSOLE MODE”.)
- At the Login prompt type: “root” and hit the [enter] key.
- Type in the Password of the “root” user and hit the [enter] key. You would have set this password up during installation. See our Installing Debian 4 on a PC guide.
- Then you will type the following code:
test:~# apt-get update
then press the [enter] key. This will download the latest, most up to date installation packages. Do not try to continue until it has completed the package header downloads.
- Once all the package headers have been downloaded, type:
test:~# apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
then press the [enter] key to continue. You will be prompted about being sure. Hit the “Y” key and press the [enter] key to continue.
- Verify that the installation completed by looking at the last line of the installation script for “Forcing reload of web server (apache2)… waiting” .
- Again, this should leave you at the # Command Prompt.
Information for these steps was obtained here.
Congratulations, you have installed the latest version of PHP5 for use with your web sites.